Empty Mirror is an online-only literary and arts magazine publishing non-fiction (essays, reviews, and interviews), art, and poetry. We publish new work every Friday.
Detailed contributor guidelines can be found below.
We accept submissions on a continual basis.
Contributor submissions guidelines
For all categories:
- For your best chances of acceptance, browse Empty Mirror to get a feel for what we’re about.
- Please include a short bio. You’re welcome to include links to your website and social media accounts.
- Please whitelist so that you’ll be certain to receive our reply to your submission.
- In most cases, you can expect to have a decision within 2-12 weeks.
- Most work is published within 2-12 weeks of acceptance.
- Any length is fine.
- We often feature more than one poem by each poet; please submit 3-6 poems at a time.
- Please don’t double-space your poems unless they must be presented that way when published.
- We don’t accept previously published poems.
- Length is very open. We’ve published pieces ranging from 500 words up to 15,000. Just send us what you’ve got.
- While we prefer work which hasn’t been previously published (especially online), we may make an exceptions for essays particularly well-suited to EM. If your work has been published elsewhere, please tell us when and where.
- You’re welcome to include images with your written work.
- Images should be uploaded as individual files rather than embedded in a Word document.
- Please attribute your sources when appropriate, using endnotes rather than footnotes.
- As is standard practice on the web, we insert space between paragraphs rather than using indentation. If your work uses paragraph indents, they’ll be removed before publication.
- Work may be copy edited.
- If you’d like us to publish a book review that you’ve written, please see the non-fiction guidelines above.
- If you’d like us to consider reviewing your book, please see our book review policy and guidelines, then send us an email.
- Please submit 3-12 images.
- We’d like to see work united by a common theme or style.
- Your artist’s statement, introductory note, or other text is optional but very welcome.
- Images should be submitted as individual files rather than embedded in a document.
- Images should be at least 750 pixels at their longest dimension.
- Please name each image with its title or include a caption. Untitled work is fine, too.
- We’re not currently accepting fiction submissions.
Please contact Denise Enck.
How we’ll publicize your work
EM can’t currently offer monetary payment. (The small amount generated by ads each month is not quite enough to cover our web hosting costs.)
However, your work will be read, and publicized, on a website that gets tens of thousands of visits per month. Most newly-published features are showcased on our homepage. We want to help you get the word out about your work. (That’s why we started Empty Mirror in the first place.)
We’ll include your bio on every piece you contribute to Empty Mirror as well as on your author page. We’re happy to include links to your websites, social media, and sales pages in order to encourage readers to learn more about your work.
We’ll share your work multiple times on Twitter (where we have over 20,000 followers) and on Facebook.
If you’re on Twitter, please let us know so we can follow you and add you to our contributors list there.
New pages on Empty Mirror are indexed almost instantly by Google.
Please note: All rights to published work remains with the author. You always keep your copyright.
Wondering what the process is from submission to publication? Read a description of EM’s editorial workflow.