1. No Longer at Ease by Chinua Achebe (the author of Things Fall Apart) by Chinua Achebe2. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe3. Akenfield by Ronald Blythe4. When Rain Clouds Gather by Bessie Head5. Serowe: Village of the Rain Wind by Bessie Head6. The Collector of Treasures and Other Botswana Village Tales by Bessie Head7. Aké: The Years of … [Read more...]
Discover new books - and share your favorites!
What are the books you can't do without? Want to turn others on to your favorites? Jot down your top ten, and send the list. (You can use your full name, first name, or a nickname.) Lists can be either ranked 1-10, or in no particular order, and feel free to add comments if you like. If accepted, we'll feature your list here. Click on any of the archived lists below to discover lists contributed by other Empty Mirror readers...
1. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien2. The Magus by John Fowles3. On the Road by Jack Kerouac4. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller5. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad6. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez7. The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen8. Long Ago and Far Away by W.H. Hudson9. Green Hills of Africa by Ernest … [Read more...]
1. The I Ching or Book of Changes (original translation)2. The Tibetan Book of the Dead (original translation)3. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman4. The Scripture of the Golden Eternity by Jack Kerouac5. Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth by Buckminster Fuller6. The Rosy Crucifixion = Sexus, Plexus and Nexus by Henry Miller7. Sometimes a Great Notion by … [Read more...]
1. V. by Thomas PynchonOpened my eyes to what modern writing could do2. Little, Big by John CrowleyThe best American magic-realist novel ever3. Dhalgren by Samuel R. DelanyBlew my mind4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldDeceptive simplicity5. Texasville by Larry McMurtryPure pleasure; the most fun I've ever had reading a book6. All We Need of Hell by … [Read more...]
1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky2. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson3. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey5. Montana 1948: A Novel by Larry Watson6. Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons7. Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs8. A Separate Peace by John Knowles … [Read more...]
comment: So you have read Naked Lunch and Junkie and maybe even paged though the Nova Trilogy of Soft Machine, The Ticket That Exploded and Nova Express, you think you know William Burroughs. Well that is only the tip of the iceberg. Here is a list of ten Burroughs to sink your teeth into after you have gotten your feet wet. As with any list, this list has biases. The most … [Read more...]
Dune by Frank Herbert A magnificent creation, we come back for the religion, the politics and the myths, which are so much more powerful precisely because he does not expound them.The Collector by John Fowles Frederick/Ferdinand troubles us, but we empathise with his lonely pitiful existence until we read Miranda's account and realise the full horror of the … [Read more...]
1. The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac2. On the Road by Jack Kerouac3. Big Sur by Jack Kerouac4. Maggie Cassidy by Jack Kerouac5. Demian by Hermann Hesse6. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger7. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte9. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath10. The Little Prince by Antoine De … [Read more...]
1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson2. Flashman: A Novel by George MacDonald Fraser3. On the Road by Jack Kerouac4. Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell5. Journey to the End of the Night by Celine6. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald7. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger8. The Year of Living Dangerously by CJ … [Read more...]
The Magus by John FowlesThe Sheltering Sky by Paul BowlesZen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. PirsigThe Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan KunderaBlood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the Westby Cormac McCarthyAtlas Shrugged by Ayn RandUnder the Volcano by Malcolm LowryThe Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays by Albert … [Read more...]
Tropic of Cancer by Henry MillerTropic of Capricorn by Henry MillerThe Thief's Journal by Jean GenetJourney to the End of the Night by CelineDeath on the Installment Plan by CelineDesolation Angels by Jack KerouacLast Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan KunderaA Dreambook for Our Time by Tadeusz … [Read more...]
1. You Can't Win by Jack Black Here's a book that was way ahead of its time, and right now, it's my all-time favorite. Next week, I'll have another new favorite...in fact, probably by next week I'll reread this list and wonder what in the world I was thinking.2. Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader by William S Burroughs, edited by James Grauerholz I love this … [Read more...]