Empty Mirror is an online-only literary and arts magazine publishing non-fiction (essays, reviews, and interviews), art, and poetry. We publish new work every Friday.
Detailed contributor guidelines can be found below.
We accept submissions on a continual basis.
Contributor submissions guidelines
For all categories:
- For your best chances of acceptance, browse Empty Mirror to get a feel for what we’re about.
- Please whitelist so that you’ll be certain to receive our reply to your submission.
- Most work is published within 2-16 weeks of acceptance.
- Any length is fine.
- Please submit 3-6 poems.
- We rarely publish single poems, preferring to feature more than one poem by each poet.
- Please don’t double-space your poems unless they must be presented that way when published.
- We don’t accept previously published poems.
- In most cases, you can expect to have a decision within 2-12 weeks.
Nonfiction: essays, reviews, articles, features, interviews, personal essays
- Length is very open. Here are some general guidelines:
–essays 1,000-20,000 words
–interviews up to 10,000 words
–articles/features 1,000-20,000 words
–book excerpt 1,000-5,000 words
–book reviews 300-5,000 words
That said, we’re pretty flexible and aren’t particularly hung up on length. If you have questions, please contact Denise.
- We prefer work which hasn’t been previously published (especially online). Exceptions are occasionally made for criticism and interviews particularly well-suited to EM.
- We don’t accept previously-published personal essays.
- If your work has been published elsewhere, please tell us when and where.
- In most cases, you can expect to have a decision within 1–4 weeks.
- You’re welcome to include images with your written work.
- Images should be uploaded as individual files rather than embedded in a Word document.
- Please attribute your sources when appropriate, using endnotes rather than footnotes.
- As is standard practice on the web, we insert space between paragraphs rather than using indentation. If your work uses paragraph indents, they’ll be removed before publication.
- Work may be copy edited. And, if there are no images with your work we’ll add at least one.
- If you’d like us to publish a book review that you’ve written, please see the non-fiction guidelines.
- Book reviews should be 300-5,000 words.
- If you’d like us to consider reviewing your book, please see our book review policy and guidelines, then send us an email.
- Please submit 3-12 images.
- We’d like to see work united by a common theme or style.
- Your artist’s statement, introductory note, or other text is optional but very welcome.
- Images should be submitted as individual files rather than embedded in a document.
- Images should be at least 750 pixels at their longest dimension.
- Please name each image with its title or include a caption. Untitled work is fine, too.
- In most cases, you can expect to have a decision within 1-4 weeks.
- We’re not currently accepting fiction submissions.
Please contact the editor, Denise Enck.
For our contributors
EM can’t currently offer monetary payment. (The small amount generated by ads each month is not quite enough to cover our web hosting costs.)
However, your work will be read, on a website that gets tens of thousands of visits per month. We want to help you get the word out about your work. (That’s why we started Empty Mirror in the first place.)
Here’s what we’ll do for you:
- Newly published work is usually featured on the Empty Mirror homepage for a week or more.
- Your work will be featured in EM’s weekly newsletter, which is sent to hundreds of subscribers.
- Your bio will be included on every piece you contribute to Empty Mirror as well as on your author page. (We’re happy to include links to your websites, social media, and sales pages in order to encourage readers to learn more about your work.)
- Your work will be shared multiple times on Twitter (where we have over 20,000 followers) and will also be posted on Empty Mirror’s Facebook page.
- If you’re on Twitter, please let us know so we can follow you and add you to our list of contributors there.
- New pages on Empty Mirror are indexed almost instantly by Google.
- When you have news to share — perhaps a new book or an exhibition — please email the details. They’ll be shared to our news page and in our weekly newsletter.
Please note: All rights to published work remains with the author. You always keep your copyright.
Wondering what the process is from submission to publication? Read a description of EM’s editorial workflow.