For several years, there’s been a very small, basic website devoted to Ted Joans. Now, it’s time to go big.
The new website will launch in April 2015. But, before that happens, I need to track down some photos and information. We’ll be sure to credit you for anything you can supply! (And, I’ll send you a free TED JOANS LIVES! letterpress postcard – just ask.)
Here’s what I’m looking for:
Photos of some of Ted’s books and broadsides
I haven’t yet been able to turn up images of these hard-to-find works. Do you have any to share?
- Beat Poems. New York: Deretchin, 1957.
- THE T R U T H. Amsterdam: Surrealkabinet, 1968. One poem in thirty languages.
- Mijn Schwartze Gedacht. Amsterdam: Van Geneep Uitgeveri, 1969. Prose.
- Black Flower Poems. Amsterdam: Amsterdamsch Litterair Cafe de Engelbewaarder, 1972.
- Africa Centre Poems. London: The African Centre Press, 1973.
- Jazz is our religion: jazz-poemes de Ted Joans. Nancy: Jazz Pulsations: Imprimerie des Celestins, 1973.
- Spetrophilia Poems and Collages. Amsterdam: Amsterdamsch Litterair Cafe de Engelbewaarder, 1973.
- Why I shall sell Paris. Paris : [publisher not identified], 1976.
- Vergriffen Gedichtung. Hamburg: Verlag Michael Kellner, 1977.
- Le Poesie du Jazz. Dakar, Senegal: USIA, 1978.
- Poete Americaine Ted Joans. Tunisia: Bibliotheque Amerique, 1978.
- Vergriffen: Oder, Blitzlieb Poems. Kassel, Germany: Loose Blätter Presse, 1979. Bilingual.
- Unfinished Furniture. [Paris, France?] : [publisher not identified], 1979. Broadside
- Old and New Duck Butter Poems. Paris: Handshake Editions, 1980.
- Why I Shall Sell Paris. Philadelphia: Privately printed, 1980. Broadside.
- Heads I win, tails you lose!: poems / by Ted Joans. Amsterdam: Surreeel Kasteel, c1980.
- Sure, Really I Is. With collages by the author. Sidmouth, UK: Transformation Books, 1982.
- Merveilleux Coup de Foudre: Poetry of Jayne Cortez and Ted Joans. Paris: Handshake Editions, 1982.
- Not a Baggage Check. Vancouver, Canada: 1983. Broadside.
- Poèmes. Lonpré, France: Éditions du Rewidiage; Épinal : Amis de Hors Jeu Éditions, 1993.
[We’ve already found of these books: The Hipsters; Our Thang; WOW: Poems by Ted Joans; Okapi Passion; In Thursday Sane; Afrodisia; Black Pow-Wow; A Black Manifesto in Poetry and Prose; Honey Spoon; The Truth (broadside 1978); POÈTE DE JAZZ; Funky Beat Jazz Poem, Mehr Blitzliebe Poems, Flying Piranha, Santa Claws, The Truth (24th St. Irregular Press); Une proposition pour un manifeste du pouvoir noir; All of Ted Joans and No More, Cogollo Caniculaire; Some Sum of Surrealist Poems]
Photos of Ted or his art
Got photos of Ted or his art work? We’re interested!
Recollections & other info
Do you have something to say about Ted? I’d love to hear it. And (with your permission) we may even publish it on Ted’s site, or on the TED JOANS LIVES! tribute pages right here at Empty Mirror.
You’ll get credit
I’m glad to credit you for any information or images that you contribute, and would be glad to link to your website as well.
You can contact me (Denise) here.